10.03.2011

Craft : Yarn Monsters

yarn monsters

Monsters made of yarn, just in time for the spooky season.

There's not much to these monsters, but I think they turned out kind of cute.

Henry and I used the same technique we did for our Yarn Circle Garland.
[You can check out the details on how to create the yarn circles there.]


Henry did very well cutting the yarn this time. 
I handed him a pair of my scissors [boy, was this a special occasion to him!]
and he had no problems at all cutting it.
[He still holds it funny, but getting much better each time.]
yarn monsters

The process is pretty simple.
Add the cut yarn to some glue [water it down a tad to save on glue, but not too much either].
Drop the yarn into a muffin tin and let dry.
yarn monsters

You can either be super patient and wait a couple of days or you can stick it in the oven for a good half hour on a low temp [200F or so].

Once the yarn is completely dry, you can take them out of the muffin tin.

By simply adding a googly eye to each yarn circle, Henry made monsters! 
[Thanks CraftProjectIdeas.com for the googly eyes!]
yarn monsters

Not so scary.
Pretty cute actually. 
yarn monsters
I added a couple pom pom feet to some of the monsters. 
But Henry didn't like them that way.

I wasn't sure what to do with the monsters, so I added them to our holiday tree.
 yarn monsters

They don't quite belong there...
So I'm still on the lookout for a new home for our one-eyed monsters. 
yarn monsters

I think a spider web may be in the monsters' future.


Keep the Monster Party going on over at Rainbows Within Reach
Check out Debbie's idea to keep the monsters away: Monster Spray!

Are your kids afraid of monsters?

jamie @ hands on : as we grow


Henry is 3 years.
George is 1 year.
Head on over & check out our sponsors:

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

20 Comments:

At October 03, 2011 , Anonymous BusyWorkingMama said...

Too cute! I'll have to try this with my daughter!

 
At October 03, 2011 , Anonymous Rashmie @ MommyLabs said...

Playful and adorable! Loved the idea of putting them up on the Holiday tree!

 
At October 03, 2011 , Anonymous Jill @ A Mom With A Lesson Plan said...

I love it! They are simple, cute and right in time for Halloween!

 
At October 03, 2011 , Blogger Esther said...

Adorable! love the idea! So simple and cute

 
At October 03, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try just spraying the branches black :) Love this idea and will definitely be doing this craft with the little ones!

 
At October 03, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Very cute! I find that anything with googly eyes is always a hit with kids!

 
At October 03, 2011 , Anonymous Allison @ All for the Boys said...

So cute! I love that you hung them on a tree.

 
At October 03, 2011 , Blogger Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

Those are cute! i could see you making some Monster garland....The tree idea is great! Maybe even add some sparkle with glitter and sprinkle before they dry!

 
At October 03, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are super cute. I'm thinking my 4 year old nephew would love making them. Thank you for sharing.

 
At October 03, 2011 , Anonymous maryanne @ mama smiles said...

These are darling! I love Melissa's Monster garland idea, too!

 
At October 04, 2011 , Anonymous Angelique Felix said...

Super cool and lovely! What a nice idea to hang them in the tree.
All of your creations are special Jamie! Keep it up
Angelique

 
At October 04, 2011 , Blogger Aleacia said...

These are too cute! And simple which I like best, I bet my 2 year old would love to do this!

 
At October 04, 2011 , Blogger Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

these are cute & I actually dig the tree! Spooky but adorable all the same!

 
At October 05, 2011 , Blogger Brooke said...

These are darling! I mean scary! We've got to make some of these soon - off to get some yarn...

 
At October 07, 2011 , Blogger Brooke said...

I can not find my goggly eyes, ours might have buttons for eyes. Thanks for linking this up to Monday Madness!

 
At October 11, 2011 , Anonymous Toddler Approved said...

Ok, the googly eyed monster tree is my favorite thing ever! What a perfectly creepy Halloween decoration to have in your house. Love the creativity!

 
At October 11, 2011 , Blogger Laura said...

I really really love them hanging on the tree. Fun. I will be sharing today...a day late!

 
At October 11, 2011 , Blogger Marilyn said...

These are GREAT.. :)) What an awesome blog,,Im officially following ya with smiles.. Found ya on linky and had to stop in.. So much creativity dwells here.. Im Marilyn via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com ..Hope you can stop in sometime..TY

 
At October 13, 2011 , Anonymous Emma @sciencesparks said...

I LOVE those! So simple and yet so effective. My son struggles to hold scissors too.

Thank you so much for linking up with FunSparks.

Emma @sciencesparks

 
At October 14, 2011 , Anonymous maria said...

So cute and simple, I love these monsters...and the tree idea is really cool:)

 

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and I love to see what you have to say!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home