10.18.2011

Halloween Craft : Pumpkin Mummies

pumpkin mummies craft

Pumpkin mummies!

These are a super cute craft for Halloween that the preschoolers can do!


I chose four pumpkins that I thought resembled our family from our heaping pile of pumpkins on our front porch,.
[Ha. Hmm... Not something I thought I'd be comparing to my family...]

I decorated a couple first to get figure out what had to be done.
[I didn't have any directions, only a picture of these pumpkin mummies from bhg.com as a fresh idea for decorating pumpkins.]

Also it was nice to have something to show to Henry.
He doesn't even know what a mummy is!
pumpkin mummy craft for preschoolers

The smaller pumpkins are much harder to do than the larger ones, so I let Henry try wrapping up the larger pumpkin [Dad Pumpkin] that was left. 

What you need to make a Family of Pumpkin Mummies:
  • I used 4 yards of a gauze roll [1 roll].
  • 2 googly eyes per pumpkin, in corresponding sizes [courtesy of CraftProjectIdeas.com]
  • And a little piece of black sticky back foam for the mouth [or you could use black construction paper, I just didn't have any].
pumpkin mummy craft

Creating a family of Pumpkin Mummies is easy :
  1. Cut the gauze in half, lengthwise. [And half again for the smaller pumpkins.]
  2. Hot glue one end of the gauze to the pumpkin [in the back].
  3. Wrap away. [Henry enjoyed spinning the pumpkin while I held the gauze.]
  4. Hot glue the other end of the gauze, or tuck it in. [The smaller pumpkins, I had to hot glue a couple times while wrapping... it wouldn't stay!]
  5. Hot glue on the googly eyes, tucking it under the edge of a piece of gauze to have it peeping out.
  6. Stick on the black sticky foam as the mouth. [I just cut a small triangle shape and tucked it in. I also found if you completely cover the mouth with the gauze and just cut a slit, it leaves a cute opening!]

family of pumpkin mummies craft

Our pumpkin mummy family. Mom, Dad, Henry and George.

What pumpkin mummy do you think is who?
Henry has them all named...



jamie @ hands on : as we grow


Henry is 3 years.
George is 1 year.
Head on over & check out our sponsors:

Labels: , , , , , ,

16 Comments:

At October 18, 2011 , Anonymous Angelique Felix said...

So funny! You all look in great shape ;) Lovely activity.
Angelique

 
At October 18, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

haha those are ridiculously cute! love it :-)

 
At October 18, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

These are super cute! I love that they are a family!

 
At October 18, 2011 , Blogger Krafty Max Originals said...

These are just toooo cute! I will be sharing your post on my blog tomorrow, please come check it out! ~KM

http://kraftymax.blogspot.com/

 
At October 18, 2011 , Anonymous Toddler Approved said...

Seriously adorable Jamie! Love that you compared them to your family :) Such a great activity for language building! Heading over to share this on our Facebook page right now!

 
At October 18, 2011 , Blogger Brooke said...

So adorable, we just carved our pumpkins last night. This looks like more fun though :-)

 
At October 18, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

I am your newest follower!
Please follow back, I would greatly appreciate it!
Quick Tattletails Blog Hop Directory
:)

 
At October 24, 2011 , Blogger Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

What a fun idea! I know my kids would love making these. :)

 
At October 24, 2011 , Blogger Katie said...

These are TOO CUTE!! I joined your play network and posted but I just realized I wasn't following you! Now I am :)

 
At October 24, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for linking to Halloween Traditions and sharing your idea with my readers!

This is such a cute idea!

 
At October 25, 2011 , Blogger Aimee said...

What a fun idea! Hmmmm.... we still have one pumpkin uncarved! Thank you for sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase

 
At October 26, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

that's great. and so easy to do with the kids!

I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!

doro K.

 
At October 26, 2011 , Blogger Dana Craft said...

hey, your pumpkins are fantastic! great idea, thanks for sharing ☺ regards, dana

 
At October 28, 2011 , Anonymous Emma @sciencesparks said...

WOW!! That is a great idea! So simple and so effective.

Thank you so much for linking to Fun Sparks, sorry for the late comment.

Emma @sciencesparks

 
At October 30, 2011 , Blogger Laura said...

I love this idea Jamie. I sometimes hate carving pumpkins. It can be such a mess. This is a great alternative. Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness!

 
At October 30, 2011 , Blogger Laura said...

PS: I am sharing this post tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and I love to see what you have to say!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home