1.14.2012

"Make it Kid Friendly" Idea: Geometric Garland

I found this colorful garland of shapes on Pinterest.
So colorful and bright, I thought this could be turned into a kid project!

Visit Weekday Carnival to buy this gorgeous geometric garland!

I'm not sure what these are made of, or how they're made, but I can think of a few ways to do this with the kids, and even add some learning into the process!

What can be done to make it a kid-friendly activity:



To make the garland:
  • Glue the shapes onto yarn or a flat ribbon [I think a flat, thin ribbon would work the best]
  • Use a hole punch and punch one [or even two] holes and thread the yarn or ribbon through the holes. [Two holes would get the effect here, one hole, the shapes would just dangle.]
How the kids can learn during this activity:
  • Cutting practice! Draw some geometric shapes on construction or card stock paper [heavier would be better if you want to display these]. Let the kids have a chance to cut them out themselves!
  • Patterning! Pattern by color, or by shape [or both!]! Practice learning patterns.
  • Sorting! Sort colors or sort shapes. Divide them up into piles.
String up your new, kid-made garland, and enjoy!


Inspiration can be found in all places! Don't limit your options to just kid-friendly crafts and art projects that you've seen done already. Take a look at adult projects all around, and think to yourself, "How can I tweak that to make it work for my kids?" 


jamie @ hands on : as we grow
Henry is 3 years. George is 1 year.

Current sponsors :  Fudoo Boards  :  A Mom with a Lesson Plan  :  CraftProjectIdeas.com
Design your own party invitations at Vistaprint.com



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At January 14, 2012 , Blogger crittersandcrayons said...

Great idea! The shapes look kind of like tagboard or construction paper. Pretty.

 
At January 14, 2012 , Blogger Scott said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

 
At January 14, 2012 , Anonymous stephanie a. said...

what a great idea. i am constantly pinning on pinterest with the intention of making things kid-friendly.

 
At January 15, 2012 , Anonymous mermaid said...

Very pretty!
Thanks for sharing!

 
At January 16, 2012 , Blogger Kristina said...

Beautiful! We made several of these for a recent baby shower. We just used cute cardstock and then sewed it. I have also made similar ones with my kids and we just used shapes, tape, and ribbon. This reminds me that we should do one for V-day with hearts! Thanks for the inspiration.

 

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and I love to see what you have to say!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home