2.21.2012

Sponge Art: Paint a Rainbow

sponge art rainbow painting

Paint a rainbow with a sponge.
I wish I could claim the idea of rainbow sponge painting, but I saw it last year over at Strong Start.

While this is a kid-friendly idea, a lot of the prep needs to be done by an adult, or older child. And prep needs to be redone during the activity as well.


I kind of felt like an artist getting this ready.
My pallete [a pizza pan] of paint in rainbow colors!
paint a rainbow with a sponge

Simply swipe each color, in the order of the rainbow, onto a sponge.


I said the colors as I was doing this to teach Henry the order of the colors in a rainbow.
[I had to reapply the colors onto the sponge multiple times.]
By the end of the activity, Henry was reciting the rainbow colors in order with me.

And then I let Henry have the rainbow painted sponge and paint in any way he'd like.

He filled his paper with rainbows.
sponge painting, a rainbow

It was very colorfully painted, but the one sucky thing about using so many colors is that it turns to muddy brown when they're mixed together. [That's why we normally stick to two corresponding colors when we paint.]

a rainbow painting with a sponge

By the way. See that bracelet on Henry's wrist?
He got it from his preschool teacher for reading eight books in January. 
[I find it funny because I forgot to write out our slips for each book we read until the last week of January.]
Eight books isn't many, but Henry is so proud of that bracelet.


Check out the rainbow made with Fruity-O's Henry made last year.


Share it!


Current sponsors :  Fudoo Boards  :  A Mom with a Lesson Plan  :  CraftProjectIdeas.com : My Toy Smart




Design your own party invitations at Vistaprint.com

Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

At February 21, 2012 , Anonymous Deborah said...

Well done on the bracelet and reading Henry!! I sure wish Henry could come to my preschool - I bet the kids in my class would think he is awesome!

 
At February 21, 2012 , Anonymous kids creative chaos said...

Awesome! Years ago, I paid $20 plus shipping for something like this that was on t.v. Amanda will love this ~ it looks good and messy :-)

 
At February 21, 2012 , Blogger Learn with Play at Home said...

Gorgeous! Love the photos too. Simple but effective. Thanks :)

 
At February 21, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the sponge rainbow!!!!!

I have been thinking about rainbows too recently. After I did an activity painting with light, I thought about how much fun it would be to do that with many lights, the colors of the rainbow. Let's see, it would take 6 flashlights, covered with ROYGBV gels. I'll bet 3 children could do it together - one standing, one kneeling, and one sitting and each with one flashlight in each hand.

I smell a St Patrick's Day project! : )

 
At February 21, 2012 , Blogger StrongStart said...

Thanks for crediting my blog - I love that you used a pizza pan for the paints - it looks like an artists palette.
We are going to try to paint rainbows with a pendulum this year.

 
At February 22, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

That looks amazing. My daughter absolutely loves rainbows and she would love this.

 
At February 22, 2012 , Blogger Esther said...

This one is in my to-do list! we love rainbows and my daughter will love it! Good Job by Henry on the reading!

 
At February 22, 2012 , Blogger RedTedArt said...

Ooh what fun! I bet that felt like MAGIC! Beautiful. Rainbows are just so lovely.

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

 
At February 22, 2012 , Anonymous cathy @ nurturestore said...

I love this Jamie - so colourful and swooshy. And well done on the bracelet Henry - great reading :)

 
At February 22, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

What a pretty rainbow! I love the effect.

 
At February 22, 2012 , Blogger MiaB said...

LOVE it!!! Totally sharing this :)

~MiaB

 
At February 22, 2012 , Blogger MiaB said...

LOVE it!!! Totally sharing this :)

~MiaB

 
At February 22, 2012 , Anonymous Suzanne said...

I have just seen this idea EVERYWHERE I look. I think it's a sign that my buddies and I MUST do this!

 
At February 23, 2012 , Blogger Andie Jaye said...

this is so fun... i wonder if i have any sponges? am adding this link to my post for today to give me readers some more rainbow resources.

 
At February 23, 2012 , Blogger The Monko said...

8 books is 8 more than some kids will have read in January - Go Henry. Loving the Rainbow Painting, i think i will be trying that tomorrow

 
At February 23, 2012 , Blogger Stacy of KSW said...

thanks Jamie! We're having a rainbow unicorn ninja party on Sunday and I think this would be an A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! party activity. I think we'll paint on a big tarp in the yard :) Fun

 
At February 23, 2012 , Blogger Stacy of KSW said...

hmm, or maybe a dropcloth or white sheet? that way we could use it for more fun later ....

 
At February 24, 2012 , Blogger Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

This is just one of the prettiest things I have ever seen. You can bet I am going to try it. Just pinned this great idea! Vicky from Mess For Less

 
At February 28, 2012 , Anonymous cathy @ nurturestore said...

Thanks for linking up with the Kids Co-op Jamie. :)

 

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and I love to see what you have to say!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home