1.11.2011

Truck, Semi and Cement Truck Puzzles! (FREE PRINTABLES!)



Simple homemade puzzles!


Who would have thought? 














I found the cement truck idea at Toddler Approved! - she had a free download for a delivery truck - but I loved her cement truck so much, I tried to make my own. 










I also made Henry a tractor and semi because he LOVES the farm. I would have asked him what he'd like me to make for a puzzle, but I'm sure he would have said a combine... and how would I make that? That's something I have yet to figure out how to draw.

These are simple puzzles that I just drew the outline of the vehicle (in Illustrator) and then cut out the corresponding shapes out of construction paper (next time I'll use card stock so its sturdier - or may even laminate them).



I let Henry pick out what colors he wanted each part to be. Most things, he wanted yellow (surprising.... maybe drifting from his favorite green...)






Then I just set the paper in front of him with the pieces and he put it together like it was nothing. (He also told me each part as he put it on... including the 'air brake' for the semi).


I'm so stoked about this because Henry has never been very into puzzles yet. 

I tried my best to create most things in ordinary shapes (some didn't work out so well, i.e. the semi) so we could work on shape recognition as well.

I think this is one we'll be bringing out a lot (oh wait, it has yet to be put away). I think I'll also create some other farm things, too - maybe a wagon or a barn or bins...


Great learning opportunities : shapes and colors!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At January 11, 2011 , Anonymous Toddler Approved said...

Love the ones you created!! I will definitely have to make more too. My son wanted an excavator... and I was too lazy. :) Love your tractor. We will be downloading that one. Using velcro on the pieces and laminating them also makes them more durable and less frustrating for little hands.

Thanks for checking out my blog!

 
At January 11, 2011 , Blogger Jamie @ hands on : as we grow said...

@Toddler ApprovedSo excited you made it here to my blog! I'm lovin' your blog! Ooooo... and excavator - H would definitely want one of those too...

I like the velcro idea!

 
At February 19, 2011 , Blogger RedTedArt said...

I know a 3 year old that would love this craft in our house! Lovely. Like a puzzle, but great for practicing shapes!!

Do come and join us on Kids Get Crafty again! Latest link http://www.redtedart.com/2011/02/16/kids-get-crafty-robot-cards-the-robot-the-blue-bird/

Would love to see you there!

Maggy

 
At May 29, 2011 , Blogger Annette W. said...

Your link didn't work for me. Could you PLEASE email me the printables or send me another link? My son would Love these!

 
At May 30, 2011 , Blogger Ness said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At May 30, 2011 , Blogger Ness said...

These are fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing the PDF's.

 
At June 06, 2011 , Blogger I'm a full-time mummy said...

Wow! Thanks for this! I've been looking for craft works like this!

 

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and I love to see what you have to say!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home